Chiropractic Care for Headaches & Migraines
The World Health Organization found that 50% of adults around the globe experience headache disorders. A headache disorder is a nervous system condition with painful symptoms in the head. Migraines and headaches are common examples of headache disorders.
Many people have a hard time telling the difference between a headache and a migraine. However, you will be able to get faster and more effective relief if you know the type of headache disorder you have. That’s why our team at Dr. Rod Merritt in Hilliard is here to help.
What Is a Headache?
Headaches are nervous system conditions that result in pressure pain or aching in your head. The intensity of the pain ranges from mild two severe. You can experience a headache on any part of your head. A headache could last from 30 minutes to a week. There are various causes of headaches. They include stress, overdose, infections, medical conditions, and other independent causes.
Three Types of Headaches
There are three common types of headaches which include:
- Sinus headaches: You experience a sinus headache when your sinus swells due to sickness or congestion. It causes pain around your cheeks, eyes, and nose. A sinus headache is more painful in the morning or when you bend forward.
- Cluster headache: Cluster headaches are multiple headaches you experience every day about the same time for weeks or months. They happen when blood vessels dilate due to serotonin and histamine release.
- Tension headaches: They are the most common type of headaches. It originates at the back of your head and spreads to the sides. Tension headaches are okay as a result of stress, hunger, eye strain, and more.
What Is a Migraine?
A migraine is a neurological disorder that occurs due to changes in neural pathways and chemicals. The changes affect various tissues in your brain and the blood. You may experience symptoms including:
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Extreme fatigue
What Are the Causes of Migraines?
There are various potential causes of a migraine. They include:
- Allergies: Allergies cause irritations and inflammations. Inflammations of the blood vessels cause migraines.
- Environmental causes: There are numerous environmental causes of migraines, including food stress, lack of sleep, weather changes, and smells.
- Gender or hormonal shifts: Women are more likely to experience migraines than men because of the menstrual cycle and hormonal changes.
- Genetics and family history: Research shows that genetic mutations can make you experience migraines.
Get Chiropractic Treatment for Headaches and Migraines in Hilliard
We can help patients in Hilliard and Columbus find the rehabilitation and chiropractor treatment they need for their headaches. DR. Rod Merit offers chiropractic care and other treatment options like functional medicine, nutrition, personalized exercise and rehab programs, ultrasound therapy, electric stimulation, and more to help patients find the relief they need. Contact us today at (614) 777-1920 to schedule an appointment.